Sunday 30 October 2011

Kakakalaa - Jump for your Life

Huya sudeya now, we play happy hpay fun time game, for all you family, we play, .. JUMP .. FOR .. YOUR LIFE!!!!


Opening thoughts:You know I never thought that this would become a trend, but today we have the second map to run on a timer. I mean I understand the notion of adding tension to a map but once you start to add timers you begin to hit the issue of making the map inaccessible to the less capable players. But I guess the question can all lay in the execution, will this map require an execution like the last timed map? Lets see.

Visual:Stone stone stone and stone again, yes we are back inside a stone box once more for ths map, with only the 4 varieties of stone tto keep us company. Yes I know that there are only 3 areas all closely connected but each could have been done in its own way. The positive was once again when we escaped the stone aand were out in the open world for the whole 2 minutes of change.
[5/10]

Challenge:As I said in the opening we are back to the timed puzzle, however here we don't find the kind of timmer that is impossible to out run, we find one that is almost forgiving allowing us a chane at the jumps. As well as that the actual jumps themselves are reasonable, not providing a massive challenge if you have mastered the jump button, but with the threat of the timmer it works well.
[4/5]

Length:Once again the timer comes into play here, but from what I was able to work out (from hitting the start and standing still) the timer seems to be about 20 minutes for the map I played from version 2. This is a good length for the version I played. Why am I being somewhat cagey about this? well for that answer lets move on.
[4.5/5]

Puzzle Varity:So while I take the arbitary points off because all 3 (-1 for variety) are pretty much exactly the same (-1 for repetition), I give them back because the map creator has worked in ... suspence ... a difficulty system. Yes with this system not only do you give people a reason to replay, but you also provide us with the option so that even people who are less parkour will get into it. I can see the issue with the lack of variety holding back replay value, but the merrit of the idea is still worth some celebration.
[8/10]

Things that need Improvement:- Visuals
- Variety with the puzzles

Things that need No-Improvement- (suprisingly) The Timmer
- Challenge Level

Final Thought:While last time I railed against the timmer as a terribly executed gimmick, here it works. With the changing difficulty it gives everyone a chance to complete it, then the last one which had a zero chance of completion, making it far more interesting and replayable, so I do recommend this map. As for the timming theing as a whole... I still believe there are better ways to engage your audience, but as long as it is implemented well, then it can be a legitimate way for map makers to go.

Percentage Score: 72%

Link:  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/721698-parkour-and-other-181-kakakalaas-custom-maps-vers-13/page__p__9412953#entry9412953

No comments:

Post a Comment