Tuesday 18 October 2011

Fuzion50 - The Parkour Door

Oi you, go and open The Parkour Door



Opening Thought:Today I want to rant, why? well I just read something that has agitated me and I can think of no better place to vent then here where people actually read what I write (Btw if you want to just now about the map skip these because they are rarely every relevant).Right venting:

Why the hell is there talk of another 2! Transformers Movies? No seriously why is there even talk? I thought that the agreement was that satan got a book series about piss-ant vampires and a trilogy of notalgia-raping movies to make his play for world dominace and then we would all get to move on and pretend it never happened, and yet for some reason Hasbro and paramount have decided that rather than letting the money train settle into the station we should take it out again. Now I know that studios  keep money-spinning franchises going all the time past the first trilogy (Spiderman much?) But generally after you finish the first trilogy everybody goes back to their careers (or if you're megan fox or whats her face yo preferably go and don't spea ever again) and then we get in the next lot people in to try give the series a crack. I get that that is the ususal deal... So Why doesn't Micheal Bay Know that???? He is in talks to mae robots fight each other AGAIN, seriously Hasbro I will go and wath our transformers movie, I remember them as a kid... but ditch Bay because his lac of directorial flair, tact or any legitimate form of skill is seriouly holding this franchise bakc from being an interesting cluster of robot fighting.
Okay rant over, on with your usual programing:


Visual:Todays map is georgeous, Im love the way this creator uses colours to make his map visually iteresting because it works, as I go through each area I get a feel for its theme, but rather than the usual dark and dank theme that alot of maps go for this one heads down more of a light and bubbly feel. This map isn't finished yet but if it continues down this path (and perhaps towards a setpiece?) I will not hesitate in bumping up this score.
[9/10]


Challenge:This is a parkour map, and as is usual for the genre this map is hard, as you spend most of your time jumping up dizzyingly high buildings, however it is kind enough to give us some checkpoints along the way, that stops the map from ever becoming impossible. If anything though, the constant need for the sprint jump feels a bit annoying and over used, making judging the gap less of a challenge and more mundane.
[4/5]


Length:Again this mp isn't finished... but as long as it isn't halfway done either then i think this score can tentetivly stand. The length is fairly solid, most of the maps don't over stay their welcome individually and remain fun despite you falling to yur near death for a twenty-third time
[3.5/5]


Puzzle Variety:You may have noticed in the last section that I said the maps didn't over stay their welcome individually. By that I mean this map repeats. Yes I know it is a parkour map and so is always going to be a variety of jump from point A to point B, but really thats not my issue. The first and third puzzle you come accross is a fairly standard block to block jump but they also (together) take up about 2/3s of the play time, as such it made me really happy to see the mining and the aircraft section, that felt uniquly different to the normal parkour thing. The other aspect that failed to grab me was the minecart section, what was the point? Part of me assumes you're either going to another puzzle in there or a more amazing ride, but right now I have to assess on what I see, and this looks like a stragely out of place section.
[7.5/10]


Things that need Improvement:- Repetative Puzzles
- Out of Place Minecart Section
- Finish it

Things that need No-Improvement:- The Visual Asthetic
- The Different and Interesting Puzzles


Final Thoughts:I would really like to see this map finished because it seems to be on the right track, there are enough original ideas here for me to say that you should all keep an eye on it and download it when it's finished, because as parkour maps go, you should have plenty of fun with this one.


Percentage Score: 80%

Link:  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/679375-parkour-wip-181-the-parkour-door-v40/

No comments:

Post a Comment