Thursday 20 October 2011

Neceros - Chunk Survival

Something something something... Chunk Survival (...What it's 11 at night)







Opening Thoughts:As people may have noticed I very rarely do full reviews of survival maps, thats not because I dislike survival maps or think they have no place as maps, its more that there usually isn't much to talk about, I guess you can talk about the challenge an sometimes the visual design, but there are never any puzzle or plot elements. But the reason I began to think this map could be somthing to do a full review on was when one of my old tropes made an apperence, yes this game's creator has gone down the somewhat rudely taunting you whilet you try to progress path. But I don't want to give away all the review points, so lets jump in.

Visual:Okay I'm expanding this out to design so that I have something to talk about. Basically this map is designed to be one giant chunk ripped out a normal map that you are forced to play on and down, wht do I mean, well whilst your supposed to do the normal surivial rigmaroll on top (build a house, build a garden, invite mobs to come and blow it up) you're also supposed to decend through various dungeons in order to collectsome of the items youll need, like diamond, lava and redstone. This aspect of design works well, you feel while decending that you are going through various dungeon areas, fighting off legions of mobs and hunting for treasures.
[8.5/10]

Challenge:Okay I'm sending this message out to the creators of Escape from room 234, this is how you do mobs, making them progressivl harder as you decend but never to a point that it becomes impossible. And then if you want to be really cruel (which this map creator seemed to want to be) then you can throw random dynamite traps around, which rewards the clever player with some dynamite.
[4.5/5]

Length:Of my attempts to strong-arm this type of map into my reviewing system there was of course going to be at least one awkward fit, so lets make this quick. The number of challenges and the difficulty of getting to the bottom makes this game plenty long yes it won't overstay it's welcome because, being a survival game, victory simply comes from turning the game off.
[4/5]

Puzzle Variety:Being killed by zombies and being blown up by tnt are really the only puzzles to be found here, but rather than judging the mp too harshly I'm going to cut this sections percentage down, because whilst the puzzles are a nice diversion, they are not what most people will have come for.
[4/5]

Things that need improvement:- Maybe give a few more items at the start so tht people who don't want to go digging can stand a chance.

Things that need no-improvement:- The puzzles elements.

Final Thoughts:As someone who has never had his imagination amazingly captured by survivl maps, this one has gone a long way in making me enjoy them, putting some real challenge between me and getting the recources I need made the whole game a lot more compelling. I would whole heartedly recommend this game to people who have nevr quite gotten into survival maps but want to try, because the chllenge works to make the map all the more interesting.

Percentage Score: 84%

Link:  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/709396-survadv-chunk-survival-1200-dls-hardcore-survival-puzzle/

1 comment: