Friday 28 October 2011

GeraldoCockerhan - Greed

Lets carve out a pound of flesh as we enter Greed



Opening Thought: ... I .... it just ... *sigh*. Let me make something completly obvious, I don't like youtube as a be all and end all of Minecraft, there are other ways to interact, such as through fan art and written work, but more and more often people seem to look on youtube as the way to get noticed. (yes I have made a youtube video but that was mostly because I've been requested to do stuff like that, and I'm not yet completly sold on continuing) The issue with this is that maps become focused on just being youtube fodder, like our map today, but can something like that still flourish on its own?

Visual:Times before I've stated how I like maps that use at least part of the open world to give some difference in colour and style, the problem here is that the juxtoposition of the outside world and inner darker areas never quite reaches the second half, infact the only time we really enter the darker recesses of the map is at the end for about 30 seconds. I did enjoy the opening area and the ending area, but any of the post game and middle sections are just bland, sort of meshing together.
[5/10]

Challenge:There are two questions you need to know the answer to before attempting this map. Firstly can you use the sprint? Second do you have eyes? If you answered yes to both then congratulations you have just defeated every challenge in this map. It feels seriously lacking in any real depth which makes me question the boast of 'pure parkour'.
[1/5]

Length:

That is the vdeo the map was made for, before you click on the play button look at the time, see it? Good, now double it. and you have the play length. I'm serious this map is up to serving a life sentence on criminal shortness. As I've said I believe that a map need to be at least 20 minutes long to suck the player in enough, and as such this is truely unacceptable of any map.
[.5/5]

Puzzle Variety / Story:Once again I have to ask where these aspects were, lets start with Puzzle Variety, there is none. Now orginially when I rea the claim of pure parkour I was expecting the usual jumping puzzles, but for there to be many different versions not just one straight and really really simple run. The second aspect is story... I don't know what to say, the idea of greed is only payed off at the end as you miss the final jump and take the portal to hell so nothing there.
[1/5]

Game mode:Again I'm draging out an 'other' category but here it is to make a point. The creator has said that they wanted this map to be played on creative mode to enable people to make the far jumps. I dont really like this, motly because of the jump issue, basically when you are going for a far jump you are likely to hit buttons and it is possible and often that you will end up flying. I understand the choice for the video but for a propper map this aspect should have cleaned up.

Things that Need Improvement:- Puzzles (every aspect)
- Length
- The long jumps can be given some shorter points so we don't need creative.

Things that Need No-Improvement:- Some of the visuals

Final Thoughts:As I said this trend of videos being the most important part of minecraft is rather sadening, the game is about creation and whilst people no doubt still see that, more and more people seem to try and get efamous through their time playing this game (I'd call it the Yog-effect but really they're just the most prolific not the starters). As for this map I would not reccomend it, there is nothing here that you can't make your selves with 1 hour of play and work.

Percentage Score: 25%
Link:  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/715936-parkour-greed-a-minecraft-parkour-map-193-w225-downloads/

No comments:

Post a Comment