Tuesday 18 October 2011

Billith - [Barren]

Wow where there is now activity this site was once [Barren]



Opening Thoughts:I think I should open this review by addressing a slight hypocracy you may notice between when I review a puzzle game and an adventure game. You see when I review a puzzle map I tend to spend a fair bit of time talking about visuals and how each map should have a colourful and interesting design, but hen I talk about Adventure/story focsed maps, those issues aren't as important and I focus on the story. Why is this? Well to put it simply a puzzle map will usually be remembered for it's design and a few puzzles, a day or two after I play one what will I think back on when considering your map? Possibly a clever puzzle or two, or the rooms design. Where as with adventure maps I am more likely to remember the story. So if you want to make an impact on your audience there are very differnet methods to follow on both map types. Bear that in mind as I head into this review.

Visual:Do you like the sun? Do you like the idea of walking along the beach and lightly splashing a loved ne with sea water? Yes? The Piss off, because all your going to get in this map is snow and ice. The colour plaet of blues and whites do, initially, make an interesting contrast to the normal browns and greens of the minecraft world, and the map does use it's chosen colours to great effect in its 'puzzle' sections. However nyone who has played the game should now the little gripe I am about to make... The continued and dreary use of the same colour makes it look a bit boring and causes the early sections outside the mammoth cavern run together. But all my issues are hushed once you entre the mammoth caver I spoke of, the idea is that you have to work your way through various oddly shaped rooms, seems simple but there's very little light and nearly all the rooms are made of ice, so you can't see the walls. In short it is a very solid design choice, allowing for much intrigue and retrack ablility for all the rooms.
[8.5/10]

Challenge:This game is hard... and for something that desn't really have any puzzles that is saying something. Most of the time you are having to grope around walls hoping to find the way, and it is a lot of fun ... to begin with. after 2 minutes of looking for the next checkpoint hoever, you might find your attention a bit frayed. If I could make one suggestion for these sections it is have a bit more direction, not so much that it is easy, but just a few signs here or there so we know we are on the right track, otherwise people are likely to give up.
[3.5/5]

Length:As usual the length links in with the challenge, and as I have already suggested the game takes a LONG time and a lot of it feels unnecessary, especially when I'm walking through the same icy room fr the 7th time. But I do think this is just liked to the difficulty and if you had a bit more direction the time would work far better.
[3.5/5]

Story:As I opened the story is the strength of this map. The creator weaves an interesting story, setting us up with his intor to expect oe kind of quest and the twisting to another (and no I shan't tell hat it is because I think it is better experienced by ones self). I particularily like his note ratio since, as an adventure map creator, I tend to over use notes and text, t is good to see a simple and concise use of noting. As I've said before the only thing this map could use a bit more of is direction, especally during the second half in the mammoth cavern.
[9/10]

Things That Need Improvment:- The Cavern (direction mostly)
- The Glowstone (the aspect I asked for aid on earlier)

Things That Need No-Improvment:- The Story

Final Thoughts:I've made alot of the story aspect and it is true that it has kept me enraptured by this map, but if you have little interest in story, then you are probably more likely to get bored and lose interest. My suggestion to the map creator is more direction, so that more people will be inspired to push through. Because this story does deserve to be told, but it doesn't deserve to get lost in an Ice cavern 7 times.

Percentage Score: 82%
Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/301997-18-1-barren-an-adventure-map-like-no-other-500-dl-910-rated/

No comments:

Post a Comment