Wednesday 2 November 2011

TheUnnnster - Escape from Hell

With maps like this I never will, but maybe you can Escape From Hell






Opening Thought:

The 2 things that have begun to fuel my nightmares (stone and lava) once again make a gere beating apperence. And whilst I understand the use of lava in a map set in hell.. why stone? Stone is grey a colour more toward some sort of limbo, since we now have netherrach, obsidian and bedrock (soon we'll even have nether brick) so why use stone? And for an even bigger issue, why use sponges for the blocks? They look even less hellish. Also the entire second section is just a ravine... Look I spoke on this reccently but using a ravine as a pre dug area is the apittamy of lazy and more often than not it looks aweful and randomly generated, and this map is case and point.
[3/10]

Challenge:
There is ver little difficulty here, at no point did I need to redo a section and as a pure parkour it fails to entice. The way the jumps are set up I would guess that this was built for 1.7 and below but then there are ocassions when you'd need a sprint function to make the jumps ruling out that option. But of both the parkour sections I felt no real challenge
[2/5]

Length:
You may have noticed in that last sentence that I used a key damning word. In this case it was the word both. Yes there are only 2 parkour sections for this entire map.. and these aren't long and complexe sections these are just your normal (even short) lengthed puzzles. So it really should take you only 7 minutes. Unless like me you get stuck when your lack of mind reading power comes into play, which leads me to...
[1/5]

Puzzle Variety
:The lava swim, what I'm refering to is a part where you must jump over a 4 block area to reach a checkpoint, now any sane person would look at this, snort 'not bloody likely' and go and look for the real way across. But apparently you are supposed to throw yourself on the mercy of the lava ods and assume you won't die painfully ... This is not a good idea, there needs to be some sort of direction when it comes to going through areas we can't see. I mean honestly how are we to know? And again there are only 2 parkour section are they are extensivly the same. I would call this map incomplee but there is a rather nicely made final section and sequel tease so I just can't be sure.
[1/10]

Things that need Improvement:
- Visual Style and Flair
- Coherence with Theme
- Length
- Puzzle Difficulty
- Leap of Faith Puzzle
- Overall Puzzle Variety

Things that need No-Improvement:
-
The Final Area


Final Thought:
This map is an underdeveloped mess, it is ajorly lacking in all the key components required to grade it and will in the end work more toward frustrating you than giving you a sense of enjoyment. If you want a good map set in hell then checkout The Devil's Lunchbreak, but not this map.

Percentage Score: 24%

Link:  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/718988-advparkour-escape-from-hell/
You know, sometimes I wish I was psychic, not just for the fun times and rock an roll life style of reading peples minds, but so that I can work out what map makers want me to do! Now that otburst isn't suggesting you shouldn't challenge your map players, if you don't then you will fast bore them, but it should also be noted that there is a difference between challenge and leap of faith gameplay. With that lets dive in.

Visual:

No comments:

Post a Comment