Tuesday 22 November 2011

Jagrafess20 - The Secret of Castle Remburg AND Trapped!

... Oh don't look at me like that, I had 2 Essays due this week so my weekend and monday kind of slipped me by. Anyway lets look at both The Secret of Castle Remburg AND Trapped!



Opening Thought:So today we're doing a doubble feaure... of sorts. Two maps reviewed similtaniously as I focus on the good points of the map creator... and the not so good aspects of them. If you enjoy this let me know, and I may do another.

Visual:
Castle Remsburg -
This map has some really nice buildings, such as the council tower and the Castle ... but aside from those nice buildings there isn't really much to look at in this map. Most of it is just set in a random spawn world as you follow a gravel path and while there are the ocassional setpiece they, a. Don't appear enough and b. they go really quickly (Seriously there is a whole castle and we don't even get to mess around in it. So yhea the spacial padding is all over the place. But my urual gripes about colouring don't appear, so thats nice.
[4/10]

Trapped -
This map is much better than the last, it is a crazy mix of blocks and styles to form one giant mansion of fun, the thing is fairly easy to navigate but still has enough twists and turns that you will really enjoy it. My usual thoughts on set pieces don't apply here because the Mansion it's self is a huge set piece. And what makes it better is at the end, you will see the best and I mean the BEST! Set piece ever!! So yhea ... Visuals here are awesome.
[9.75/10]


Challenge:
Castle Remsburg -
Not really much here, you just kind of keep going forward without any real obstacle. Just to point out ssimply because you have made an advemture map doesn't mean you can't make the next checkpoint at least somewhat difficult to get to, or at least give us enough stuff to look at to make it interesting.
[2/5]


Trapped -
Almost too difficult here, you basically have to hunt down each plot point by running all over the mansion. It's alot more engaging than the Castle. But any ill will is mellowed by the fun visuals we get to run around in. Really though I think if there is another map the clues given for these challenges should give us a little bit of better direction. Otherwise this was really good.
[4/5]


Length:
Castle Remburg -
Basically all I have to say on this is that there is a long lost in a mine section that just goes on and will take you forever to finish. It really has no structure to it and just seems to go on from point to point with no real connection.
[1/5]

Trapped -
Much like Castle this one has very little structure, and as I have said you can sped ages just running around due to the lack of direction. However as you do you are more than likely going to run into the answer to at least one puzzle, so you're next quest will shorten, that makes this map more bearable I guess, but as I said it could really use some better puzzle clues, but otherwise it is okay.
[3/5]


Story:
Castle Remsburg -
What Story? As an adventure game the whole idea is to try and find out what is going on and play through the twists and tunrs, here I just seemed to go to places randomly, not really having any reason to do it, more just doing it because the plot wants me to. If I had to say how to fix it I really would say don't this apsect of the stor isnt really redeemable and it may be better just to leave this one and move on.
[1/10]

Trapped -
This map falls into the same habbits, not having any real plot and more just a loose story to drag us along. HOWEVER at the end this thing all of a sudden gets crazily insane! I really didn't see the ending set piece coming, and while it was far too short and easy to fill my liking I will recommend a play of this map just for that.
[6.5/10]



Final Thought:Yep, no 'needs to be improved today', mostly because I can sum them like this. Neither of these maps should be changed, if anything the map creator should focus on the next map they want to make. For all you out there wanting to pick it up I say the really do play 'Trapped!' because it is a bit of fun and looks amazing. But 'The Secret of Castle Remburg' just feels like a map makers footing, as though the creator had no idea what they were doing and was just throwing stuff at the wall.

Percentage score:

The Secret of Castle Remburg - 27%

Trapped! - 78%


LINK:  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/735027-adv-secret-of-castle-remberg/

LINK:  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/740950-mainly-adv-but-a-little-puz-trapped/

No comments:

Post a Comment